Friday, November 29, 2013

I Am



Two small but powerful words.  “I am” whatever you profess to be has the power to make you become what it is you profess.  Maybe this is something you already know and I’m coming late to the party, or maybe I have been listening to those people who for years have been whispering in my ear all those things that I am not.  Or maybe it is the change that has occurred in my life over the last two years (achieving my masters, having a career versus a job that stretches my intellect, walking around without those extra thirty pounds) or maybe I’ve finally reached an age of wisdom.  But at 51, I am professing to be a runner.  Over the last several years I have dabbled at it now and again, but would have never thought myself a runner.  A few weeks ago, I read an article that talked about professing to be what it is you want to become and you will achieve success.  So, I have been telling myself over the last few weeks that I am in fact a runner.  Now, we can profess to be things and then do nothing and of course, just saying it will not bring success.  Over the course of the last few weeks I have thought about running, I have planned my runs, and I have worked at running and today, I profess that I am a runner.  Am I great at it?  Probably not, but I am better at it today then I was last week and next week I’ll be even better and maybe someday I will profess to be a great runner.

This is a valuable lesson for me and as I contemplate this, there are more I am’s in my future….

No comments:

Post a Comment